Working as part of England’s Community Forests, the Forest of Avon Trust has secured Defra funding for a major new grant for tree & woodland planting and aftercare.
The Trees for Climate grant is available across the Forest of Avon (Bristol, Bath&NE Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire) and is highly flexible, supporting planting including:
- Urban and parkland tree planting of feathered/ standard trees at final canopy
- Hedgerows and shrub belts with field trees
- Tree/ shrub belts within a holding planted to support catchment management
- Community orchards and woodlands
- Rural woodlands delivering multiple objectives including timber, catchment
management, landscape enhancement, nature recovery and/or permissive public access.
The Trees for Climate Grant covers all agreed costs (subject to quotes/ tenders), benchmarked against standard costs. Completed application forms are also assessed in terms of their contribution to tree planting priorities set out in the Forest of Avon Plan and whether the applicant makes any direct or in-kind contributions to the scheme.
Establishment and maintenance costs may also be claimed, as can payments for items including site surveys, fencing and accommodating new public access.
The minimum size criteria is 0.10ha (or equivalent for final canopy or hedgerow planting).
Planting proposals above 0.5ha are subject to Forestry Commission regulatory checks, which we help with.